About Street Sweeping
The Stormwater Maintenance Division is committed to providing clean streets as it is an integral part of street maintenance and water quality. Sweeping complies with the regulatory requirements of the Federal Clean Water Act, the municipal (NPDES) permit, and the City’s Stormwater Management Plan.
Street sweeping benefits the community by collecting and removing sediment, debris, chemicals, and yard waste that collects in the gutters and streets. This debris can block stormwater inlets causing localized flooding during heavy rain events along with polluting our local waterways.
Street Sweeping Functions:
- Reduce the amount of pollutants and contaminant that get into the stormwater runoff and pollute our waterways.
- Prevent leaves, debris, and litter from clogging the storm drain system that cause flooding and storm system backups.
- Provide a clean, aesthetically pleasing appearance to Pittsburg neighborhoods and provide a healthy and safe environment.
The street sweeping program sweeps approximately 311 miles of curbed streets within the City of Pittsburg, including residential streets and major arterial streets. Street sweeping removes approximately 3,696 cubic yards of debris and contaminants annually from the streets that would otherwise remain in the street and eventually end up in our waterways.
How You Can Help
Keeping the roadway in front of your house free of large objects and obstructions is the best way to assist street sweeping efforts, as the street sweepers are not designed to pick up large objects, piles or wet debris. Here’s how you can help improve the cleanliness of your street and to improve the effectiveness of street sweeping in your neighborhood.
- Limit vehicles parked on the street by parking in driveways and other designated parking areas.
- Avoid piling leaves or other debris in the street or gutter.
- Don’t rake, sweep, blow leaves or other debris in the street or gutter.
- Keep litter, twigs, and branches out of the street or gutter.
- Residential streets are divided into quadrants, beginning in the northwest quadrant of the City moving to the southwest quadrant, then the southeast quadrant and ending in the northeast quadrant.
- The Downtown Business District from 2nd Street to 11th Street and from Locust Street to Pine Street is swept on Friday mornings starting at 4:30 am.
303 Memorial Dr.
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Phone: (620) 240-5126
Fax: (620) 240-5157