The Animal Control Division is responsible for:
- Enforcing city ordinances and state laws governing the care, treatment, and ownership of both domestic pets and other animals
- Operating the Pittsburg Animal Shelter, which houses stray, abandoned, or unwanted animals that are in some instances available for adoption
- Transferring dogs and cats to the Southeast Kansas Humane Society for adoption when able
All city residents are required by law to license their dogs and provide proof of current rabies vaccinations. Licenses are available at City Hall, 201 W. Fourth St., Pittsburg, KS 66762.
- $3 – Dogs who have been spayed or neutered
- $5 – Dogs who have not been spayed or neutered
- $10.00 Adoption Fee
- $5.00 City Tag Fee ( If a City resident )
- $33.00 Rabies Vaccine Fee ( Waived if it can be determined to already be in place )
- $45.00 Spay/Neuter Fee*
* Spay and Neuter fee can be refunded if the new owner provides proof of the operation. The fee will be waived if it can be determined the dog has already been spayed or neutered.